Sunday, October 5, 2008

The Marathon I Almost Didn't Run

My little brother (Adam) and i posing with our medals!
Around April this year i thought it would be a great idea to run the STG marathon with my little brother. Unbenounced to him i signed both us up for it. He was still on his mission at the time so i conveniently waited until he got home and announced, "good news, i signed you up for the marathon, so start training."
Training wasn't easy, especially while living in Montana and not having a training buddy. Then one not so good day i hurt my knee. After that I took time off and completely stopped training. Next thing i knew, the big day was upon us. The night before, i still wasn't sure i was going to run. The next morning I decided not to run it, so Bob and i dropped my little brother off alone. As we drove around the block i said a few choice words (which Bob did not like) and asked her to take me back... I was going to run!
Running without an ipod, in the pouring rain, with a head wind the whole 26.2 miles was one of the funnest things i have done in a long time!... Seriously! I know that sounds crazy but i enjoyed ever step of the way! I ran with a smile on my face the entire time. I didn't once think


I didn't have any goal other than to just finish the race. HOWEVER, once i started to run (and found out how easy it was for me). I ran 8 1/2 minute miles for the first 21 miles. It wasn't until mile 22 that my hips started to hurt at that point i ran 10 minute miles. But, around mile 3 my ankles felt like they had an itch. But it wasn't until mile 21 that i realized my ankles were sliced open and bleeding everywhere...thankfully they were numb from the cold and didn't bother me. In the end i finished at 4:09:36! It was all worth it in the end to hug my brother at the finish line. I just want to thank my family for coming and supporting me and for my little brother for giving me the strength to do it.

Next year i plan i running it again (with Jessica). This time i will train and want to finish in under 3:30!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats!! You did amazing!

rickellespinoza said...

anyone who can run that distance deserves a congrats! if you are still in town we should get together for lunch!

Higbee said...

Oh my gosh that looks so painful! Good for you for doing it though!

~..kass..~ said...

YAY that is awesome! My mom ran too but no blood feet for her you poor gilr. It was great to see you at the wedding. Let me know if you venture to these parts :)

~..kass..~ said...

Hey you! Sorry ti took me a while to get back. Anyways my mom did great her 1st ever and finished at 4:15!! :) I was pretty proud

Price Blog said...

1 word for ya - HARDCORE!!! Way to be!!

MeganDan said...

Wow. I can't believe you ran a marathon. That is awesome. And I'm sad for you feet and the blisters, but loved that picture!

Miss you. Glad to hear that Montana is treating you so good :)